Become a Photoshop World Guru
The Guru Awards are a Special Photoshop World Contest Just for Attendees!
What Are the Guru Awards?
The Guru Awards were created to honor and recognize the design, photography, retouching, and creativity of our attendees. Since their humble beginnings in 1999, the Guru Awards have now become the most prestigious and coveted awards in the international digital imaging industry. Watch the video to see some of our past winners and to see what Scott Kelby, President & CEO of KelbyOne has to say about the Gurus. Attendees may submit up to three individual pieces per category, in up to three of the following categories:
Land or sea, urban or nature,— this is landscape photography. Grab your camera and start shooting the world around you. Shots may include nature, travel, and architecture. Note: If your photo retouching manipulations are particularly heavy, the image may be better suited to our retouching or photoshop artistry category.
This category covers all portrait and people photography. Whether you like to shoot in the studio or outside. Whether you prefer brides, grooms, babies, families, natural light, fashion, or lifestyle. Note: If your photo retouching manipulations are particularly heavy, the image may be better suited to our retouching or photoshop artistry category.
Not a landscape or portrait photographer? Then this is the category for you. This category is open to all photography whether it be macro, pets, sports, you name it. Note: If your photo retouching manipulations are particularly heavy, the image may be better suited to our retouching or photoshop artistry category.
Submit pieces that demonstrate your ability to enhance an original photograph by removing distracting objects or improving color, composition, depth and general aesthetics. To enter a Photo Retouching piece, you must submit your unedited “before” picture along with the finished & edited “after” picture. These should both be of the same dimensions.
If your skills and passions move outside of photography then we would love to see your 3-D designs, ads, illustrations, hand-drawn or painted art, and typography. Note: If your piece contains photographic elements which were modified with Photoshop plug-ins or filters it may be more suited for the Photoshop Artistry category.
Composites (Montages) are collaged pieces, which are made up of a combination of elements from multiple photographic, photorealistic, or 3D sources. All photos and elements must be legally acquired. You will be required to submit a “before”version. This should be thumbnails of all of the elements used to create your “after” (final) piece.
This category can include images that have been edited or created with Photoshop. They could be digitally painted over, added to with 3D or have been modified with plug-ins or filters. Note: pieces comprised of several elements, would fall under Composites. Custom-drawn/painted pieces or those using typography fall under graphic design.
A shout out to all first-time attendees. This category is open to all categories and was created to give the Photoshop World newbies a chance to compete against other newbies. Note: You must have permission to use any registered, licensed, trademarked, copyrighted or Creative-Commons protected elements in your submitted piece(s).
Rules & Deadlines for Submission
All full paid three-day conference pass holders (18 years of age or older) are eligible to enter, and may enter up to three pieces in up to three different categories (no more than nine pieces total. All guru award submissions must be submitted through our online submission form below and must be received no later than 11:59pm Eastern Time (ET) on April 28th, 2019.
Prizes & Recognition
The winner in each category will be announced “live” at the Guru Awards & Wrap-Up Ceremony held on the last day of the conference. Each winner is awarded with a Guru Award trophy, as well as a $250 B&H Photo Gift Card. Finalists’ images in each category will be shown at the Guru Awards & Wrap-Up Ceremony. One piece will be selected as “Best of Show” and will receive a $500 B&H Photo Gift Card.
The Official Awards Entry Form
To enter, fill out the form below. You can select up to 3 categories, and submit up to 3 pieces in each category. Re-submissions are not accepted, so make sure that every part of your submission is final & accurate.
FAQ - General Info
How many Pieces and Categories May I Enter?
What Are the Entry Requirements?
- All final images in your submitted entry must be original works created by you, in their FINAL states (re-submissions are not allowed). Modifying, enhancing, or altering someone else's existing artwork does not qualify as an original creation, however legally-acquired stock photography may be used and modified in your entries
- Your entry should be comprised of up to three (3) pieces in up to three (3) categories, for a possible maximum of nine (9) total pieces.
- The images you submit with your entry form should be in the .JPG, .JPEG, or .PNG file formats; No larger than 3MB in file size (each).
- Entered pieces should not contain nudity or criminal behavior/elements (e.g., illicit drug use, murder, etc.).
- For submissions in the Composite category, you must provide the 'original' or 'before' versions of any and all resources that were used to create your final work(s), along with source information. This can include un-edited photos/film, stock photos, designs/vectors/artwork, etc. You may compile these source materials into one image (as a collage) when adding it to your submission form, but you may be asked for the separate, original source material(s) later, at the discretion of the judging panel (so please retain them).